te island in April 1513, is acredited to Pedro de Mascarenhas a
navigator, the island was uninhabited when discovered and was named
him - Mascarenhas Island.
possesion of the island by decree in 1638.
were a dozen mutineers deported from Madagascar in 1646.
island was named
L'lle de Bourbon in 1649
to Réunion in 1793.
was changed back to Bourbon till 1848
when it has
an overseas department of France in 1946.
issued stamps in 1852, the typeset locally produced 15c and 30c French
stamps surcharged in the local currency.
1 January 1975
unsurcharged French postage stamps have been in use on the island.