Russian Post Office in China - Postal Stationery Newspaper Wrappers
Russian post offices were first opened in Peking, Urga, Kalgan and Tien-Tsin sometime in the 1890's.
In 1899 further offices were opened in Shanghai, Chefoo and Hankow.
By 1912 there were a total of 30 Russian post offices in China.
All the offices were closed during 1920.
Shanghai was the last to be closed on 27 November 1920.
In 1905 three wrappers were issued by overprinting Russian wrappers of the 1891 issue diagonally with "Kitaj" in Cyrillic characters.
1 kop orange, 87mm x 412mm
2 kop green, 134mm x 410mm
2 kop green, 177mm x 444mm
2 kop green wrapper handstamped "POST ET TELEGRAPH MADAGASCAR COLLECTION DE BERN"
This is a specimen copy sent by the UPU in Berne to the Madagascar Director of Posts for reference.
1 kop orange wrapper with additional franking of 1 kop orange stamp.
Used from Shanghai, 22 Nov 1910, to Berlin in Germany
2 kop green wrapper, 444mm x 177mm, with additional 2 x 1 kop orange stamps
Used from Hankow, 30 Aug 1908, to Bremerhaven.
2 kop green wrapper, 444mm x 176 mm, with an additional 8 different stamps totalling 56kop.
Used registered from Shanghai, 18 May 1907, to Grefeld in Germany